Sometimes it’s just too damn cold to go outside. The four walls of our home is what it’s gonna be, but you want to prolong the onset of cabin fever. I’m not someone who’s always orchestrating activities for my kids at all.
I love fresh flowers, but don’t love the cost and then how quickly they die! Those red winter berries lasted forever (but are now dead) so I replaced them with the above! (Though I’m not actually sure what they are. Anyone?!?) They’re going strong a week later. I’m all about the non-flowers flowers now! Anyway, what are you guys up to this weekend?? It’s getting cold here again! After 55 degrees this week, I guess we’re due.
Now for some weekend reading…
01. The Oprah Speech. You all know my love for her runs deep. Her speech brought it to a new level. She was poignant and classy and spoke to the political climate without actually getting in it (such a difficult thing to dance around while still saying so much) and it was just a really moving speech. She’s a good woman. I’m not even talking about Oprah 2020 like I’ve heard whispers of around the internet. I’m simply saying her speech was really wonderful and I would’ve loved to have been in the room to witness it live.
02. These leggings. If you’re going to commit to working out, it’s nice to have a few things you love wearing when you do. These are my new favorite leggings (by my always favorite brand). They’re high waisted which I love and so comfortable. I got a bunch of compliments on them during mountain climbers too. (JK about the compliments coming during mountain climbers.)
03. This book. Guys. Ten days into the New Year and so far I’m making good on my resolution to read more actual books. Finished The Reader!!! I’m patting myself on the back big time, and will probably fail for the rest of 2018. Anyway, it was incredible, heartbreaking, and makes you a bit sad in that heavy life-gone-wrong way. I’m still suggesting you read it, because it’s an incredible story, but it isn’t light. (P.S. The movie is good too.)
04. Dew Skin. I plan on doing a longer post about my make up routine these days, but wanted to give a shoutout to this that I’ve been using a lot lately. I’m normally feeling like I need coverage in the winter, but I think my skin is enjoying my current products because it’s clear enough to use this (and a little of the concealer pen for under eye and the bridge of my nose) for coverage alone. It’s got a sort of glowy finish plus is really hydrating and has vitamin C for brightening and age spots. I didn’t love it immediately but now I do. Go figure. (P.S. It’s got SPF, and when in doubt, No. 2 works for almost everyone.)
05. Jerry before Seinfeld on Netflix. Speaking of, WHEN (why hasn’t this already happened?) will Seinfeld–all seasons–be available on Netflix or Amazon??? We’ve got Friends, Frasier, we don’t have Seinfeld?!??
I need to take a moment to pause for Anders’ cheeks. Oh, how I could eat that kid. Okay, moving on. Christmas morning! Everyone was home, Steve and I stayed up too late wrapping (when will I learn to wrap presents as they arrive instead of all at once on Christmas Eve?), and we went to a sweet Christmas service complete with a short children’s performance.
I have so many things to post about here, but ended up taking a much longer break over the holidays than I really intended. I’ll be honest–(mostly) ignoring my inbox, and coming down in the evenings to watch The Crown, or read, or just go to bed early instead of get in front of the computer was amazing. But I’m back! Well, mostly.
I suppose it’s time for reflection, but sometimes I just want to let the new year come on in without a bunch of fanfare. Never been one for resolutions, but I suppose if I were to make some they’d go something like this:
We made sugar cookies the other day–a Christmas tradition!–and I didn’t follow my normal recipe but instead very much struck out on an Alton Brown recipe. Probably my fault, Alton, not yours. But anyhow, who messes up sugar cookies? Me! I do! Nevertheless, the boys loved using their car cookie cutter, and all the rest.
Remember the days of Netflix discs arriving to your mailbox in that little white sleeve? And having to put holds on new releases? I had such a long list of movies in my queue! We’ve come a long way, and–not news to any of you–Netflix is putting out seriously good movies these days. New releases, their own original series, and more. I’m always looking for what people are loving lately, so do share. Here’s some of ours:
What are you guys doing this weekend? We have our final Christmas party, and I’m really excited. But we’re also doing a movie night with the kids. And hopefully going to search for some major Christmas lights in the area. I’m just really glad it’s the weekend!
Some weekend reading…
Thanksgiving morning Anders woke up complaining of his belly hurting, threw up one time (and Steve and I were preparing ourselves for 12 hours of it) and then not again! It was sort of amazing. When does that ever happen? That you think you’re gearing up for a real doozy, need to cancel plans (and Thanksgiving plans of all things), and then having it amount to nothing? He was fine! Anyway, that’s why the bowl is there. Some more from life at the Hunt home lately…