1. boston's weather has been getting a wee bit chillier as of late. a few days in the low 60s and out came the socks. i heard from more than one credible source that trumpette socks were the only ones that stayed put on your baby's feet. and who wants to have missing socks and cold baby feet? not i. sometimes they show up on zulily too, which is nice, cause otherwise they are a little spendy.
2. i would not be nearly as efficient (or happy) without my beco gemini. seriously. i have the paige one and love it. so does parker. i mean he really loves it. kid can sleep hours on end in it while i cook dinner, do laundry, go for walks, etc. you can see it on me here. i have the moby too and like it but it is a little bit more daunting a task to get it on real fast when you're in desperate need. it is better for nursing in though, which is awesome.
3. one of my major go-to's when basically anything germy comes to town is colloidal silver. the brand i have at the moment is sovereign silver and i got it at our local natural grocer. it's good for ALL things. like, seriously. you can ingest it, use it topically, the possibilities are endless. a few weeks ago william came home from a sleepover with a major case of pink eye. like mad pink eye. i put some drops in his eyes for the next few days and it was gone. no need for a prescription!
4. smoothies. i love me some smoothies. it's hard to get everything in me that i need these days with a newborn. quick and easy snacks are best. smoothies are pretty easy, delicious, and good for me, so i've been doing them lately. i use either almond or coconut milk as a base (unsweetened) and then a variety of whatever i'm in the mood for... always a banana and spinach, and then sometimes strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, etc. i want to try a scoop of coconut oil but i'm afraid it'll mess with the consistency. anyone?
5. aden + anais swaddles. i use these every single day and go nowhere without them, seriously. i use them for spit up, for sun protection for the fresh newborn skin, for nursing covers, for a swaddle (its original purpose!), for a make-shift baby carrier insert, etc. they're huge, soft, light, and pretty. their burp cloths are great too... much bigger than the jj cole ones, or any other brand.
6. i hate being sick, having others sick, everything sick. so when wintertime comes, i equip myself with a few things to try to combat it. don't get me wrong, william and lindsey will still come home with at least one stomach bug and cold per winter. at least. but they don't last for weeks on end luckily. this is one of my go-tos. source naturals wellness herbal kids liquid. i got mine at whole foods. it's got a minty flavor that isn't so bad, and is easy to just squeeze in their mouths really fast.
7. a good book for the many, many hours i spend nursing. i don't spend many, many, many consecutive hours nursing (those who are coming upon their due dates are breathing a collective sigh of relief) but, when you add it all up, my boobs are being put to good use by mr. parker. so, a good book is a welcome addition to our routine. i've tried to do email at the same time, but my one-handed typing is just frustrating. oh, and the hunger games trilogy is no true work of art, but entertaining? indeed.
8. red wine. sometimes the mamas need a little red wine at the end of a long day, no?
9. my favorite, favorite (and only, so far, so i guess i'm biased) baby shampoo/body wash. it smells nice and is all sorts of natural and easy on their tender skin. parker loves bath time and it's not just the warm water. it's california baby, baby!
10. baskets make even the most chaotic spot in your house organized. suffice it to say, i love them. i was given this one in blue at my baby shower, full of sooo many fabulous gifts (thanks elizabeth!), and now it serves as a catch-all for wipes, diapers, burp cloths, and other baby-related-miscellany, right next to my bed. if all that was plopped on the floor, it would surely stress me out, but contained in a basket? voila!
11. i haven't really broken into my crock pot this season just yet but when i do, it makes me a happy lady. and i swear, everything tastes good (like this taco soup, for instance) after it's been soaking in the crock pot for hours. everything. don't put it past me to give a dirty diaper, some cumin, and a splash of chicken broth a try.
anything i should add? what are your faves? give it to me straight.